It is officially the coldest day in Indianapolis since 1994! When I woke up, the windchill was at -38 (aka EXTREMELY cold!). It is kind of eerie outside because there is absolutely no one to be found, as it is illegal to be out driving unless it is an emergency situation.
Brian and I stopped at the grocery store on Saturday to pick up a couple of staple items and this is what I found in the produce section:
Probably the craziest thing I have seen in a long time!
Because of the extreme cold and the 10+ inches of snow we received here in Indy yesterday, almost everything is closed including the gym I work at.
That means I get a snow day today (yippee!) and it also means I need to figure out an alternative workout. I woke up around 6:30am and got straight to work on a 20 minute bodyweight tabata workout.
This is me before completing the workout. All smiles here!
And this is me after the workout. It sure felt great to sweat, despite the below freezing temps outside!
I use the Tabata Timer app for workouts like these because it beeps to let you know when to work and when to rest. Just make sure you have the volume on your phone turned up.
If you have questions about any of the exercises listed above, check out the videos below:
Whole 30 Week 1 Review
Today is Day 6 of my Whole 30 Challenge and things are going really well! I have been journaling a little bit each day and trying to take as many pictures of my food as I can.
I started eating the Whole 30 foods last Monday knowing that I would indulge in alcohol and sugar on Tuesday night to celebrate the New Year. I have not had any “cheats” since January 1, but I will say there have been some cravings for sure! My biggest craving has been something sweet or just a little “something” after dinner, but the Whole 30 encourages you to limit snacking and eat enough at all meals to get what you need. To deter my craving, I tell Brian about it and he tells me to stay strong and not give in and I drink LOTS of water 🙂
Below is a brief journal of how I felt each day.
- Felt good all day.
- Noticed there were a couple of times during they day when I wanted to eat but wasn’t “hungry.”
- I had a strong craving for gum/something sweet like a flavored water or crystal light energy but did not give in.
- Ended the day feeling great!
- Didn’t wake up with the “hangover” effect but felt a small headache possibly coming on. I’m not sure if this was a menstrual cycle side effect or a Whole 30 side effect, but I took some Pamprin to ward it off.
- I was more hungry in the morning than the previous day.
- Woke up with a slight headache. Drank alcohol and had cookies and dairy at the New Year’s Eve party the day before.
- Did not feel hung over, just felt tired with a slight headache. Made sure to drink lots of water.
- Was so tired in the evening, went to bed at 8:45pm.
- Woke up with no headache! I thought for sure I would wake up with a headache because I went to bed with a slight headache.
- Was very hungry this morning.
- Felt pretty good the entire day, just a little tired.
- Woke up feeling very tired, but no headache.
- Tired during the day, but not a yawny tired just kind of tired.
- Was a little “hangry” after work, but as soon as I showered and ate dinner I was happy again.
- Woke up feeling kind of lethargic again, but still no headache.
- Very hungry in the morning.
- Was really in the mood for a “treat” after dinner, but I just drank water.
- Woke up feeling lethargic with sore muscles. Possibly from yoga the day before?
- Very hungry in the morning.
- No headache
- Still a little achy in the morning, but not as bad as the day before.
- Definitely hungry in the morning, even after breakfast.
- No headache!
After reading the Whole 30 Timeline, I kind of expected the worst but so far nothing CRAZY has happened to me and my emotions 🙂
Below is a look at some of the food I ate during my first week. Lots of repeats. I wanted to keep things fairly simple to save time, but it was all tasty!
Whole 30 Week 1 Breakfasts:
Breakfast scramble reheated at work with 1 egg, 2 egg whites, jalapeno and spinach. Frozen berries and almond butter on the side.
Scramble with 1 egg and 2 egg whites, broccoli, bell pepper, jalapeno and salsa with berries and almond butter on the side.
Breakfast scramble with 1 egg and 2 egg whites, sweet potatoes, spinach and salsa with banana and mango topped with almond butter on the side.
Breakfast scramble with 1 egg and 2 egg whites, spinach, sweet potato and avocado with berries on the side.
Breakfast scramble with 1 egg and 2 egg whites, sweet potato, spinach, onion, and salmon with fruit and almond butter on the side.
Whole 30 Week 1 Lunches:
Mayo Free Tuna Salad with raw veggies on the side.
Salad with greens topped with cucumber, bell pepper, olives, onion, celery, carrots, and salmon. I used red wine vinegar mixed with garlic, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning for dressing.
Whole 30 Week 1 Dinners:
Vegetable Shrimp Curry
For one meal, we went to Brian’s parent’s house and they cooked up lots of veggies, fish, and served me just the soup part of french onion soup….so good!
Ratatouilli (recipe coming soon!!) with a side of baked salmon.
This was probably my favorite meal yet: Sweet potato “nachos” topped with spinach, salmon, onion, bell pepper, homemade guacamole and salsa with a side of steamed broccoli.
Pre and Post Workout Meals
Another “rule” in the Whole 30 meal plan is that you must eat before and after a workout in addition to the three meals you are already eating.
Because I am a morning worker outer, my pre-workout meal has been a coconut milk iced coffee and a hardboiled egg.
My post workout meal has been half of a baked sweet potato and another hardboiled egg.
Lots and lots of eggs, veggies, and fish 🙂 But honestly, everything tastes delicious!
— Tara (@trebleinthekchn) January 7, 2014
Question of the Morning:
- Share one delicious thing you ate last week!