It’s officially the final week of my Whole 30 Challenge.
I can’t believe how quickly this month has gone by!
I have truly enjoyed this challenge and process, and while I have not gotten all the way through It All Starts with Food, I am still enjoying everything I am learning from it and plan to continue to read the book all the way to the end.
While it has been a challenge to go out to dinner and drinks with friends and to throw a birthday dinner for my sister while sticking with the plan it wasn’t impossible. I was able to stick to the plan, even make foods for my friends and family that were Whole 30 that they enjoyed, AND I had a great time.
Last week, I mentioned that I needed to plan for AFTER the Whole 30. I did a bit of research this week and found that there is actually a Whole 30 guide to reintroduction. (They have a guide for everything!)
My plan is very much based on the plan they have outlined.
- Day 1 (Post Whole 30): Legumes
While keeping everything else Whole 30 compliant, I plan to introduce peanut butter, black beans, and possibly hummus this day. I will pay close attention to how my body feels, my mood, etc, and then the following two days I will go back to eating strict Whole 30.
- Day 4: Non-Gluten Grains
This means I will get to have my beloved oats for breakfast, and some quinoa with dinner. I can’t wait!
- Day 8: Dairy
I will get to try Greek yogurt, maybe some cheese…and I may have to use this as an excuse to get some ice cream (it’s been forever!)
- Day 10: Alcohol
This is actually the day of Brian’s Dental School Valentine’s Day Dance. I am so excited to go, and I want to enjoy a glass of wine or prosecco (or two!). I have gone without alcohol the entire Whole 30, which has been no big deal, but I do believe in moderation and I feel it is ok to enjoy treats such as alcohol for special occasions. I plan to go right back to Whole 30 for two days after this experiment as well.
- Day 13: Grains Containing Gluten
Not sure what I will eat this day, maybe some whole wheat pita chips? But I will make sure it is something tasty!
As far as the questions I have received, I will be answering those later this week 🙂
Here is a look at how things went for me last week:
Whole 30 Week 4
- Woke up with a slight headache and a strange puffiness in my eyes…not sure what is going on here!
- Felt a little weird through most of the day and my throat started to hurt!! (eek!)
- Felt strong during my workouts.
- Woke up before my alarm (woo!)
- Still had a scratchy throat, but other than that felt really good.
- Was hungry before lunch and ate my apple early to tide me over.
- Felt good through the entire day and strong during my workout (in the morning AND in the evening).
- Had NO trouble falling asleep.
- Woke up feeling refreshed, and my muscles are sore from my workouts (love this feeling!)
- Still a little scratchy throat…hoping it doesn’t develop into something more.
- Hungry upon waking…as usual.
- Felt like I was getting sick today.
- Sore throat, felt a little weak during my workout and started to get a headache in the evening.
- Stomach started to feel upset after dinner.
- Woke up feeling kind of weird…nothing tasted good. It all had kind of a metallic flavor.
- As the day went on that feeling and taste went away.
- Really hoping I am not getting sick!!!!
- Did some cooking in preparation for a little birthday dinner I am hosting for my sister and snacked while cooking.
- Woke up feeling stuffy and my throat hurt.
- A slightly weird taste in my mouth but not as bad as yesterday.
- Tummy felt flat despite my later in the evening snacking while cooking.
- Originally planned on running, but my body felt a bit achy so opted for an at home yoga video.
- Really didn’t feel super hungry all day, but ate three meals.
- Woke up with no alarm at 7:30. I wanted to make sure I got enough sleep since it seems a COLD is coming on.
- Felt MUCH better this morning, just blowing my nose a lot today and not a huge appetite.
Whole 30 Week 4 Breakfasts
My recent breakfast go-to: veggie egg scramble (2 egg whites and one egg) with a side of fruit and nut butter.
Crabby breakfast muffins with fruit and cashew butter.
Whole 30 Week 4 Lunches
A delicious salad from Patachou with avocado, hardboiled egg, tomato, and apple over greens. SO good!
Salad with veggies, black olives, baked cod and a side of more veggies and an apple. (I had this several times this week.)
Whole 30 Week 4 Dinner
Salmon stuffed pepper and roasted veggies…so good!
Baked eggplant with homemade marinara and birthday appetizers.
There ya have it friends!
Question of the Morning:
- Do you have any food allergies?
- Have you ever done an “elimination” type diet? If so, how did you reintroduce foods into your diet?