How about a smoothie recipe to start your day!?
It’s no secret that I love a good smoothie, and with the last days of summer upon us I want to make sure I enjoy all the smoothies I can while the weather is still warm. Although cold weather never stopped me from drinking a delicious and creamy smoothie
I love experimenting with my smoothies by adding various fruits, vegetables (yep…veggies!), seeds, nut butters, liquids (like coconut water, almond milk, and coconut milk), and pretty much anything else I can think to toss into the blender.
My recent creation combines tart blackberry with creamy banana for an amazingly creamy smoothie that is sweet and satisfying. Perfect for a morning meal.
Blackberries are amazingly high in antioxidants, so not only do the little berries taste great but they are chock-full of good-for-you stuff too. Oh yeah, and I always throw a handful of spinach in my smoothies for a little sneak attack on the vitamin action. Honestly the spinach doesn’t leave any flavor whatsoever, so if you’ve got some on hand might as well toss it in
As I’ve made many smoothies throughout the years, I’ve learned a thing or two and my number 1 tip for smoothie making is to make sure that you blend, blend, blend and then blend some more. Make sure to scrape down the sides, and blend the heck out of that smoothie so that the texture is as creamy as can be.
Here is the recipe if you want to give this smoothie a try!
Nutty Blackberry Smoothie
Yields: 1 serving
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp of your favorite nut butter (almond and peanut butter taste amazing!)
- 1 scoop favorite vanilla protein powder or 1/2 cup plain** (Currently, I am loving Vega Protein Smoothie in Viva Vanilla)
- 1 BIG handful of spinach or your favorite greens (optional…but won’t affect flavor or texture either way!)
**Use 1/2 to 2/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt if you don’t have or don’t prefer to use protein powder. This is how Brian prefers his smoothie and I usually add in a packet of stevia powder, 1 Tbsp honey, or 1 Tbsp maple syrup for a little extra sweetness.
- Place the frozen banana, blackberries, almond milk, and water into the bowl of your blender. Blend until combined.
- Add in the nut butter, protein powder (or Greek yogurt), and spinach.
- Blend again for about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and continue to blend until your drink is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy