Nothing says “welcome home!” more than a huge pot of warm soup on the stove. This soup is very simple, and can be made ahead of time. It often tastes better when reheated after the flavors meld together for a day or two in the fridge, which makes for a quick and easy week night meal.
Brian is a HUGE soup fan and a huge fan of all meals with a Mexican flair. This soup was honestly made by accident while making shredded taco chicken for low FODMAP taco salads a few weeks back.
I put the chicken in the crock pot with homemade vegetable stock and low FODMAP taco seasoning and just let it cook all day. When I got home, I shredded the chicken up for our taco salads. Brian saw that the chicken was sitting in a large amount of broth and instantly thought we were having tortilla chicken soup.
While he was wrong about our dinner that night, he inspired me to get a little creative with this shredded chicken recipe to create a delicious low FODMAP “tortilla” chicken soup.
Now, I didn’t include tortillas in the soup (although Brian loves adding crunchy tortilla chips to his!) so naturally, I called the soup “No” tortilla chicken soup 🙂
This soup has a little bit of a bite, so if you are sensitive to spice hold back on the chili pepper in the low FODMAP seasoning.
As always, enjoy and let me know if you give the recipe a try!
No Tortilla Chicken Soup
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (I make my own to keep this low FODMAP)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped yellow summer squash or zucchini
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dried chives
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover the boiling soup with a lid and bring the heat down to low. Keep covered and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked well enough to shred, shred the chicken with two forks until the chicken is the desired size you would like in your soup.
- Serve the soup alongside a delicious salad and garnish with avocado, cheese, and/or tortilla chips if you like.
Question of the Day:
- Do you like coming home to a pot of warm soup in the winter!?
- What is your favorite kind of soup?