Oats, nut butter, maple syrup, bananas, and nutrient-rich seeds come together to make a filling and delicious cookie that is healthy enough for a grab and go breakfast. The tart flavor of lemon paired with sweet wild blueberries really takes this healthy cookie over the top.
Happy Recipe Redux Day!
Today, I’m sharing these delicious and filling breakfast cookies with you as part of the Recipe Redux monthly challenge. Here is the theme for February: Break Out of Breakfast Boredom
Cooks aren’t always pressed for time in the mornings – they just need new ideas. Think mug cakes, smoothie bowls, breakfast cookies and more. Show us the healthy way you wake up your breakfast – or wake up just for breakfast!
When I first read the theme for this month, I was overwhelmed with ideas. Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day and I know there are so many things that can be done to make this early meal a bit easier to get in during the week.
Should I make something fun and delicious or an easy grab and go week day nosh?
I opted for both!
You see, I’ve converted Brian into a breakfast person but I’ll be honest…he rarely makes it for himself and during the week it needs to be something made in a larger batch during meal prep on the weekend so that he can easily throw it into his lunch box to take to school to eat after our morning workout.
I wanted to make something new for him that was delicious and fun for me to create! These cookies were it.
The cookies are made with rolled oats and oat flour and the “glue” that holds these babies together is a combination of nut butter, maple syrup, and mashed ripe bananas. That means there is absolutely no refined sugar or flour in the babies, they are packed with energy-rich ingredients, plant-based protein, whole grains, and a bit of fruit (in the blueberries!).
While I clearly thought they tasted wonderful, Brian also couldn’t stop raving about the flavor combo.
Let me know if you give these a try! You won’t be disappointed 🙂
- 2 cups rolled oats*
- 1½ cups oat flour* (you can make this yourself by blending oats in the food processor for about 45 seconds)
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup nut butter (I used unsalted, raw almond butter)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, oat flour, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, flax meal, and sea salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Next, add the nut butter, maple syrup, mashed bananas, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the dry oat mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Finally, stir in the dried blueberries
- Once everything is combined, scoop the dough by a ¼ cup onto the prepared baking pans. Flatten and shape the cookies with moist finger tips.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan 10 minutes before removing.
- Enjoy with a piece of fruit, hard boiled egg, or on it's own for breakfast or a filling pick-me-up treat!
And here’s a little BTS shot 🙂
Be still my heart 🙂
Question of the Day:
- What is a make-ahead or grab n go breakfast you enjoy during the week?