These bowls are filling and perfect for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner! These satisfying and flavorful bowls can be tossed together in a jif after a little weekend (or anytime) prep of the ingredients.
Recently, I feel like Brian and I have been enjoying every single meal out of a bowl. It’s just so darn easy to toss a bit of this and a bit of that together in a bowl and call it a meal. This time, instead of just throwing a bunch of things together I decided I would actually create a meal that required minimal ingredients and was full of vibrant flavors and was completely satisfying. Enter….the millet bowl!
Have you guys heard of millet? It’s completely new to me and I really love it. We have been subbing it for rice or quinoa in many recipes, and I’ve even heard that you can make it in creamy porridge form like oatmeal.
A few fun facts about millet:
- It’s a whole grain
- Millet is naturally gluten free
- 1 cup of millet provides 6 grams of vegetarian protein
You may be wondering what else is in this bowl to make it so delicious!
- Homemade pesto (you can use your favorite recipe or purchased version!)
- Sauteed kale
- Hardboiled Egg
While these bowls are pretty easy to toss together because much of the work can be done while the millet is cooking, a little prepping can make these minimal ingredient bowls even easier to toss together.
I recommend cooking up a batch of millet, making or purchasing your pesto, and making your hardboiled eggs on the weekend. That way you can saute some kale and throw the rest of the ingredients together for a wonderful meal perfect for any time of the day.
These bowls are so simple and the fit perfectly with this month’s Recipe Redux theme:
7-Ingredient (Or Less) Recipes
It’s Income Tax Season, so our brains could use some easy arithmetic; as in seven-ingredient-or-less recipes. Show us the healthy, no-brainer dish you fix for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Yep! Easy peasy. I hope you enjoy these bowls!! And let me know what meal you enjoyed them at!
- 2 large hardboiled eggs
- ½ cup uncooked millet
- 2 Tbsp pesto (I prefer homemade)
- 3 large handfuls fresh kale
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 Tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by adding millet to a saucepan and toasting over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add 1 cup of water to the toasted millet. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 20-25 min.
- In the last 10 minutes of the millet cook time, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the kale, salt and pepper and gently toss until the kale appears slightly wilted. Next, increase the heat to high add 2-4 Tbsp of water. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook, stirring until all liquid is evaporated.
- To assemble your breakfast bowls: add ½ cup millet, half of the sautéed kale, and half of the pesto. Top each with one egg.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy your bowl!!
Question of the Day:
- What quick/minimal ingredient meals do you have in your archives? Feel free to share below!