*This giveaway is closed and the winner has been contacted. Thank you for your support!
Peanut butter sweetened with maple syrup and coated with chocolate are the perfect Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes.
Hi and happy Monday!
I am so happy you stopped by today because not only do I have a mouth-watering dessert recipe for you, but I have a fun giveaway for you at the bottom of the post! This dessert is bite-sized and combines two of my favorite things (peanut butter and chocolate).
This holiday baking season, I’ve teamed up with Swanson Health Products. This was a natural partnership because I often find myself on their website ordering discounted supplements, specialty flours (like coconut flour and almond flour), and other ingredients that are a little more pricey at the traditional store.
Swanson is known for their amazing prices and selection in the health department, but did you guys know that you can actually purchase specialty grocery items on their site too? You can purchase almost every ingredient for these buckeyes (the only thing I couldn’t find were the chocolate chips!) on the Swanson site.
Buckeyes have always been my favorite part of my mom’s cookie platter (I’m pretty sure I make a mention of these little treats EVERY year!). While I think it’s perfectly OK to enjoy treats that have less than stellar ingredients just for the sake of tasting good and making fun memories, I also think it’s fun to try to recreate some of my favorite treats while making them a bit healthier. That’s exactly what I did here!
Instead of mixing the peanut butter with melted butter and powdered sugar like the original recipe, I used peanut flour (or powdered peanut butter) and maple syrup to achieve the buckeye texture and sweet taste.
The trick to getting these buckeyes to be coated in chocolate with the peanut butter peaking out of the top is to freeze the balls on the cookie tray. Try to keep them cool while dipping in the melted chocolate (so work fast!), otherwise the balls will fall off the toothpick and right into the melted chocolate (which may or may not be an issue…).
This recipe makes 48 treats, so be prepared to share the buckeyes or store in the freezer if you can’t eat them all. If you are a peanut butter and chocolate lover…this recipe is totally for you 🙂
If you while up a batch of these Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes, tag #trebleinthekitchen on instagram so I can see!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp peanut flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips, melted
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the peanut butter, maple syrup and peanut flour. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll into 48 teaspoon sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, melt the chocolate chips over low heat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Remove the chilled peanut butter balls from the freezer and use a toothpick inserted into the top to dip just the bottoms into the melted chocolate. Place back on the chilled baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If you find that the peanut butter balls are falling off of the toothpick, place back in the freezer for 10 minutes and then attempt to redip in the chocolate.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge or freezer and enjoy!
This giveaway is closed and the winner has been contacted. Thank you for your support!
1 winner will win $100 to Swanson Health Products.
Here’s How to Enter:
Treble in the Kitchen & Swanson Health Products Winter Giveaway
- Giveaway ends Thursday, December 15 at midnight.
- The winners will be chosen randomly using Rafflecopter, emailed, and announced on this post on Friday.
This giveaway and recipe are sponsored by Swanson Health Products. Thank you for supporting Treble in the Kitchen!