There are two types of dinner people. The kind who thumb through cookbooks, endlessly pin recipes, and create the weekly meal plan based on these recipes. And the kind who keeps it super simple, eats leftovers when they are on hand and doesn’t waste unnecessary time (or doesn’t have time!) to make new recipes every night. Whichever type of person you are, this Simple Baked Chicken recipe is a recipe to keep in your back pocket.
I am definitely the former. Each week, I find myself scouring my post-it note-marked cookbooks and pinterest boards in hopes to bring something new to the table (literally!). Getting creative in the kitchen is therapeutic to me, which is why I have such a joy for food, nutrition and sharing it with all of you!
While I adore preparing a meal, there are definitely aspects that I prefer to keep simple and like to prep ahead with. For example, lunch is usually leftovers tossed over some greens or a portion of this Simple Roasted Chicken over fresh vegetables.
This is a wonderful roasted chicken recipe because it eliminates all the fluff making it simple enough for those not very adventurous or comfortable in the kitchen, fast enough for those with no time and hungry mouths to feed, and juicy enough to satisfy all.
I wrote this recipe for one chicken breast, which typically yields two servings in our household but you can easily make a larger batch if you have a larger family or plan to use the chicken in multiple meals.
Our favorite ways to enjoy this simple roasted chicken are:
- Served for dinner with some of our favorite side dishes (side salads with herby Italian dressing, roasted sweet potato salad with sunflower mint dressing, roasted vegetables, and baked potatoes or sweet potatoes)
- Chilled and tossed on lunch time salads
- Shredded (and reheated if you cook and shred ahead of time) and used in nourishing bowls
The seasoning we typically use is sea salt and pepper or a homemade herb salt blend I have on hand. Nothing too crazy, and you can alter the seasoning to suit your tastes.
This Simple Baked Chicken makes an easy make-ahead recipe or a quick weeknight meal! Click To Tweet
If you give this recipe a try, please tag @trebleinthekchn or #trebleinthekitchen on Instagram so I can see your creation!
- 1 chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste (or desired seasonings)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken breast in an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Fill the baking dish with water until the water is about a half an inch high. It should not cover the chicken.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper or desired seasonings on the chicken.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the fridge in a covered container 3-4 days.
You can season this dish in any way you want.
Question of the Day:
- What kind of dinner-maker/meal planner are you?