Smoothies have always had my heart. This Wild Blueberry Crumble Smoothie combines all the flavors of the warm and comforting dessert that pairs perfectly with vanilla ice cream. Soaked walnuts, cinnamon, lemon juice, and a splash of vanilla make this meal-worthy smoothie absolutely delish!
Just wanted to let you know that I will be entering this recipe into the Wild Your Smoothie Contest! I was not compensated for my time.
The weather here in Denver has been all over the place. Last Monday it was in the 60s and by Thursday the high was in the 30s. AH! It’s enough to throw anyone off their game.
That being said, the warm weather has me dreaming of the late spring and summer when the weather is consistently warm (I’m a warm weather girl at heart!). When the weather is warm (or even when I’m just thinking warm) I crave smoothies. Like this Wild Blueberry Crumble Smoothie.
Last year, I entered the Wild Your Smoothie contest and since I love smoothies, I love wild blueberries and I love adding blueberries to my smoothies I thought I would enter again 🙂
So, what makes this smoothie so great?
- Hemp seeds | plant based protein powerhouse!
- Walnuts | great source of omega 3 healthy fatty acids
- Cinnamon | makes the smoothie taste like dessert
- Frozen spinach | adds a nutrient boost and makes the smoothie thick and creamy
- Flax meal | more healthy fatty acids
- Chia seeds | good source of fiber and healthy fat, and gives the smoothie a thicker texture
- Lemon juice | adds a little tang to the sweet smoothie
- Vanilla extract | the flavor is amplified so much by adding this!
This smoothie does require a little prep work (but not much!). I recommend soaking the walnuts overnight in salt water and allowing them to sit on the counter. This makes them easier to digest, allows your body to absorb nutrients to it’s full potential, and makes them easier to blend into the smoothie.
Can we allow Wild Blueberries to have a shining moment?
For the record:
- Wild Blueberries have a more intense blueberry flavor, which is a huge reason why I love using them in smoothies. To me, this intense blueberry flavor is so sweet I don’t even add sweetener or sugar to my smoothies 🙂
- Wild Blueberries are higher in antioxidants. They have two times the antioxidants of their cultivated counterparts!
- Wild Blueberries can be found in the freezer/frozen fruit section. They are frozen at harvest, so you can enjoy ripe wild blueberries any time of year.
#WildYourSmoothie with a Wild Blueberry Crumble Smoothie to start the day! Click To Tweet
If you whip up this smoothie for your morning meal, snap a pic and tag me on instagram at @trebleinthekitchen!
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 3 ice cubes
- 1 Tbsp soaked walnuts*
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- handful of frozen spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp flax meal
- 1 tsp chia seed
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Check out these other wonderful smoothie recipes!
Question of the Day:
- Are you more of a summer or winter person?