Swap out traditional quiche crust for a simpler more nutritious version with slices of potato! This breakfast meal is full of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats, and is perfect for feeding a crowd.
This post is sponsored by Potatoes USA through Fitfluential, but I am a true fan of potatoes and all opinions are my own!
When I was first getting to know Brian, I distinctly remember one of the facts he shared with me was that his favorite food was potatoes.
As a man of Irish decent, that made perfect sense but I was honestly thrown a little off guard by that statement. Potatoes?! Why???
His reasoning was that potatoes were so versatile! French fries, scalloped potatoes, breakfast potatoes, baked potatoes, potatoes in soup, mashed potatoes, etc.
I guess there is no arguing with that, right?
It’s not that I didn’t love potatoes, I just would have never described them as my favorite food. Well, fast forward 7 years and my thoughts have changed!
Because they are a “white carb” I think some people get the wrong impression of these fantastic root vegetables, so here are some of the wonderful nutritional benefits of potatoes because potatoes power performance (in any way that YOU need to rock performance!!):
- Complex carbohydrate
- More potassium than a banana
- A medium skin-on potato is around 110 calories
- A medium skin-on potato contains about 26g of carbohydrates (primary nutrient used by the brain and a key nutrient for providing muscles with energy)
- Great food for those living an active and healthy lifestyle
I guess Brian was right when he told me his favorite food was the fabulous potato 😉
Potatoes are pretty much a staple in our house and we enjoy them roasted and baked most often, but I am a total breakfast person so I thought I would share a fun way to incorporate potatoes into a yummy quiche!
This quiche is great for meal prep on Sunday and can be enjoyed for breakfast or lunch throughout the week, or you could make it if you are serving breakfast/brunch to a crowd!
#ad Swap out traditional crust in this Spinach Quiche with Potato Crust! #BeholdPotatoes Click To Tweet
If you give this recipe a try, tag #trebleinthekitchen and #BeholdPotatoes on Instagram so we can see your tasty dish!
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium to large Russet potato, washed and cut into ⅛ inch slices
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chives, freeze-dried
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- ½ cup unsweetened original almond milk
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spritz a 9 inch round pie plate with cooking spray. Spread the potato slices around the pan creating the crust. Make sure to put some up the sides of the plate too. Spritz the potatoes with an olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, turn the temperature up to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the chives, eggs, egg whites, baby spinach, almond milk, sea salt, and peppers in a medium to large bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the cooked potatoes and cook at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
More potato delicious recipes!
Question of the Day:
- What is YOUR favorite food? (When Brian and I started dating, my response was peanut butter…not much has changed!)