Reese’s eggs are the perfect combination of chocolate and peanut butter, but the ingredient list is a little less than stellar. These Healthier Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Eggs are just as good as the original and require just 4 simple ingredients!
Easter is tomorrow!
I am excited for a couple of reasons.
- 4 years ago I was baptized on Easter
- It’s a very important day for Christians
- Spending time with family and friends
- I am on the news this morning talking all about Healthier Easter Basket options!
In the segment, I am sharing how to take the focus away from a basket full of candy so you can create an amazing basket your kids will genuinely be excited about.
Of course, holidays do have special foods and treats and I think that is a healthy component of the holiday too! My suggestion here is to only put ONE really awesome treat in the basket rather than give a basket FULL of treats. If you are looking for healthier treat suggestions, I recommend:
- Dried fruit (I loved dried pineapple as a kid!)
- Freeze dried fruit (it’s so crisp and sweet!)
- Dried vegetables
- Chocolate covered strawberries or bananas or another fruit
- Granola bars
- A homemade treat that your kids love
- A homemade version of a favorite packaged candy.
One of my favorite treats of all time, ever since I was a kid are those Reese’s Eggs. Please tell me I’m not the only one who adores that peanut butter and chocolate combo 😉
I opted to make a healthier homemade peanut butter chocolate egg this year, and I promise they are JUST as good as the real deal! Very simple to make, and you could even make this a family Easter activity.
The only ingredients are:
- Natural peanut butter (just peanuts and a touch of salt)
- Almond meal/flour (you can make this from ground almonds if you don’t have any on hand)
- Maple syrup
- Chocolate chips
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and if you celebrate Easter…Happy Easter! 🙂
Check out the recipe below and the segment here.
If you make these tasty treats, tag me on Instagram with #trebleinthekitchen or @Trebleinthekchn so I can see!! 🙂
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (just peanuts and maybe salt)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp almond meal/flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips (milk, dark, vegan, your pick!)
- In a large bowl or a the bowl of a stand mixer combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, and almond flour. Mix until thick and sticky like dough.
- Scoop into slightly smaller than tablespoon sized balls and shape into an oval. Should make 16. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet or plate.
- Freeze the peanut butter eggs for 20-30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently OR in the microwave over about 2 minutes but stirring every 30 seconds.
- Dip each egg into the melted chocolate and place back on the wax paper.
- Freeze the chocolate covered eggs for 30 minutes to an hour. Store in the freezer.
Questions of the Day:
- What fun thing are you doing this weekend?
- Do you have a favorite Easter treat?!